X360 F1 - Season 9 Main Thread | ApexOnlineRacing.com

X360 F1 - Season 9 Main Thread

TRL Limitless

Somehow Still Not AOR F1 Champion
Jan 13, 2014
I agree with mostly everything above.

I'm just quite pissed off as I feel I've been quite mature in my recent posts on the forums without being childish and digging at anything unnecessary. I've taken someone to the stewards because I felt it was clearly illegal, simple as that. He has taken me as he feels the same about mine, which is fine and have no problem with it or him personally. He defended his case in his own manner, I've defended mine in my own as everyone has a right to do, don't see why it's completely blowing up?

In terms of corner cutting/extending I agree it needs to be clamped down, but it's very difficult if there isn't parameters involved and impossible to judge how significant/major the cut is, as at the end of the day it's the matter of opinion. For me personally (if we are talking about Monaco) I didn't feel I needed to abandon it as I felt it wasn't a lap that should of been abandoned (see the stewards panel) for a variety of reasons. Whereas other examples, I think it's safe to say it is pretty obvious to the driver and the audience of their videos that illegal corners are being conducted and the laps should be abandoned, time gain or not as I I agreed before, it that shouldn't come into the decision making.

For a while now I've been done with dragging anything personal or unnecessary into forum posts as I would post against anyone, therefore I will treat everyone the same.

In regards to twitter, I stick to just being humorous and not stepping over the line unless I feel someone has been with me, it's always been that case. I think a number of people (They know who they are) really just need to grow up tbh as I'm getting quite fed up with it now.

And yes, Canada should not be raced.

• Agree
Reactions: Seiyariu

brociek96

F1 1st Driver
Feb 13, 2014
Probably weird, but maybe ease off the track limits rules, for example that kerbs count to the track (I think that´s also the case in FSR)

Reactions: kieron

AOR Reversal

F1 Multiple Champion
Apr 12, 2014
I agree that Canada should be abandoned, and we should just move on to the next track, which I believe is Austria. Although, if we do race here, and agree to Mitchell's idea of recording races, I'd be happy to record my laps on my iPod.

• Agree
Reactions: JACK 575

George

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 13, 2014
I really don't wee why Canada should not be raced. Yes corner cutting is an issue there, but taking tracks out just because we can cut and get away with it is becoming a bit stupid to be honest. What should be done is hardening the sanctions against corner cutting and I also the idea of forcing everyone to record their qualifying is a good idea. Not only do we see who cuts and where but it has also advantages when it comes to the broadcasts, for the qualifying reports.

If we follow the idea that Canada should not be raced because of corner cuts we should abandon Austria because of turn 1, Monza for the chicanes, Russa for the track extending, Abu Dhabi and it just gets ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: Leoobot

thelivingdead69

F1 Sponsored Driver
Jan 14, 2014
did i just read that right?? ease of track limits?? on a racing website?? you gotta be kidding me!! if you can't put in a fast lap without cutting then just don't race. simples. i can't believe anyone in their right mind would ask for track limits to be eased up on!! if you're having problems keeping it in-between the white lines then sort out your driving style, don't try and get the rules changed ffs

brociek96

F1 1st Driver
Feb 13, 2014
did i just read that right?? ease of track limits?? on a racing website?? you gotta be kidding me!! if you can't put in a fast lap without cutting then just don't race. simples. i can't believe anyone in their right mind would ask for track limits to be eased up on!! if you're having problems keeping it in-between the white lines then sort out your driving style, don't try and get the rules changed ffs
I absolutely don´t have a problem, maybe had some unfortunate moments. But I also had 100% clean pole laps for example last season Korea or Brazil #ChinUp

thelivingdead69

F1 Sponsored Driver
Jan 14, 2014
not denying you've had clean pole laps, but asking to be more lenient on corner cutting just makes it look like you're looking to make your life easier

Reactions: TRL Limitless

kieron

GP2 Test Driver
Sep 5, 2014
He was actually saying that's what FSR do, which also is a racing league. Setup on a racing website, on a racing simulator game. Not some crap Codemasters game, if you read what he put. Lol just saying

• Funny
Reactions: TRL Limitless

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Hey guys. Sorry for taking a while to put a proper reply here. I've had a bit of a timeout from all things F1 over the last few days as all the negative stuff (not only in this league, but other leagues as well) has taken its toll recently, so I needed a bit of a break basically. Nothing unusual really - it just happens sometimes.

I'd appreciate if you all took the time to read the below though, even if it'll be an annoyingly long read lol (I just want to get my thoughts noted down).

Mainly, all the talk of corner cutting in the last few weeks has been quite annoying and unfortunate. Firstly due to the fact that we've had to dish out penalties for it - something which I never enjoy doing - and secondly because of the way it has seemingly been blown out of proportion on Twitter, which makes me sad to see as constant talk of 'people are cutting corners in AOR' puts a negative light on the league. It's a bit harsh and unnecessary as there's 'only' been 3 cases of corner cutting at this stage, but if it continues in the same fashion that talk would be warranted, which I don't want to be the case.

The situation with Brociek and JD is obviously the main source of the situation, with JD first taking Brociek to the stewards after Spain, and then Brociek taking JD to the stewards after Monaco, which is fair enough although a bit odd with both of you using relatively similar arguments for why the other should be punished and for why you shouldn't be. Everyone's entitled to defend themselves of course, and obviously nobody wants to be penalised, but this tells me that there might be some confusion about the track limits and what's allowed, so I'll try to clarify it from how I see it.

Firstly, in case anyone is still not clear on this, the track limits are defined by the white lines, which means the inside edge of the kerbs. Cutting/extending takes place if all 4 tyres are outside of those limits.

In qualifying; if you make a clear cut on a hot lap, you're expected to not take advantage of it. This means, either aborting the lap, or lifting off the throttle slightly to visibly show that you're not gaining an advantage from it (I barely ever see anyone do the latter one, but that's something that would work as a defence in a potential stewards enquiry). Of course, the difficult part here is the where to draw the line between what is a clear cut and what isn't a clear cut, and it's impossible to put a solid measurement on it. But the way I see it, if your car is outside the track limits in a way that is visibly obvious, then it's a clear cut. However if you have to pause the video and look closely to see if a cut was actually committed, it's probably not a clear cut. In our opinion, Brociek's Spain cut and JD's Monaco cut were both clear, even if Brociek's was more so.

In the race; it's also impossible to put an exact measurement on what is excessive cutting in the race, but I'd say that if you average more than one clear cut per lap, or if you cut/extend the same corner lap after lap, that would be classed as excessive.

It may sound a bit harsh, but that's how it is. As you know, the rules are in place in an effort to make sure people drive cleanly, and there's no point in the rules if we don't enforce them. I admit that with regards to cutting in qualy, the penalty system could be more gradual when it comes to punishments matching the severity, rather than a one-size-fits-all punishment (qualy ban) as it is currently, and that's something I'll consider. But anyway, we can't ease off on the rules because people are unable to follow them - after all, the rules against corner cutting have been there for over 4 years now - but we can maybe make them more detailed to specify some of what I mentioned above. Either way it's up to you as drivers to comply with them.

The other part of the argument, which I have understanding for, is that recording drivers are put under more pressure to drive cleanly compared to non-recording drivers, as it's much harder for the non-recording drivers to 'get caught' if they do something wrong. This is where trust comes in - trusting that your fellow drivers are fair racers - but by the sounds of it that trust is lacking somewhat at the moment.

I really don't want people to get put off from recording their races, but there's no getting away from the fact that what people will see from the races, is the driving of those who record. It's just a side effect of recording that your driving is what forms the image of the whole league, and in turn that's what people will react to, whether that be positive reactions about great racing, or negative reactions about not driving cleanly. That's an extra responsibility that you just have to accept if you are to record. Of course, it's far from ideal to not be able to police every driver to the same extent, but that has been the same case ever since the leagues started on F1 2010, and will unfortunately continue to be the case unless we were to kick all non-recording drivers from the league, or unless Codies by some miracle gave us saveable online replays.

This brings us onto Canada, seemingly the home venue of corner cutting. We've left it off the calendar on a few occasions in the past due to issues with corner cutting in various leagues, and it seems likely that the situation won't be much different this time around. In my personal opinion, to those saying "it's so easy to cut corners around here", that's all in your head. I don't have any real problems driving cleanly around Canada myself as I know where the limits are and don't try to push beyond them despite knowing the game lets me. Of course, the occasional accidental cut happens from time to time, but no more than on any other track. I do however understand the worry that with so many 'cuttable' corners, those who don't record would theoretically be able to gain time unfairly to a greater extent than elsewhere. I sincerely hope no drivers in this league are thinking like that (cutting corners because they can get away with it), but I understand why it's a concern amongst the recording drivers in particular.

As it stands right now, Canada is still part of the calendar, although I'm currently discussing the situation with the other Mods and Cods, so if anything changes you'll be informed at least a week in advance. Surely though, if we were able to pull off a properly clean Canada race, wouldn't that be the best possible comeback from this situation? :)

Finally, to finish off (3 hours later), I am fully aware that in a league like this, with a lot of strong competition and small margins between having a good and a bad race, people will be pushing the limits. But please don't let the competitiveness get out of hand to the extent that it negatively affect the league's reputation, and your own enjoyment of the racing. This extends to both how you handle yourself on the track and on the forum (etc) after the races. The best way to go about it is to do your best under the boundaries of the rules, own up to your actions rather than argue the case if you make a mistake, and enjoy the racing and the competition for what it is.

I hope you guys share my thoughts and understand my stance on these things. Now I want you to chill out and enjoy Christmas, and then come back in the new year with a fresh mind ready to focus on the racing - which is what we're here for - rather than corner cutting and other #controversy :)

Merry Christmas.

George

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 13, 2014
That was exacly my argument aswell to why we should race in Canada
Exactly, If we can have a proper clean race in Canada, there is no reason to think that we won't be able to have one in Monza and Sochi.

• Agree
Reactions: Leoobot

TRL Limitless

Somehow Still Not AOR F1 Champion
Jan 13, 2014
I think the issue here is the potential advantage gained by drivers who do not record, therefore will never know if they are gaining a considerable advantage. Canada, Monza and Sochi imo are tracks you can gain a significant amount of time even with minor cuts, therefore quite unfair to the drivers who will be recording. Not accusing of anyone as I know this league is very clean, I just think it will help keep it fair overall.

But if we continue with those tracks I won't hold a debate as I actually enjoy them myself![DOUBLEPOST=1419412924][/DOUBLEPOST]Here is a example of what I mean by the potential time gain for even minor cuts (1 second compared to clean around Sochi)

Reactions: Rug

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Driver Update:

- WRL Montoya has been removed from the league and placed on the blacklist after 3 uninformed no-shows.

This means F1 now has a spot open. As far as I'm aware from asking them previously, all of the current top GP2 drivers prefers staying in that league for now, so I don't really have anyone to fill the spot at the moment.

So if anyone knows someone fast who are looking for a league, let them know! The only requirements I'd need is that they are a proven clean league racer (whether that be from AOR or elsewhere) and that their pace is likely competitive enough for F1.

George

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 13, 2014
I'll might try to bring ExTa back to AOR as he's now made the switch to Pad racing. He has good pace so I beleive he could easily get the spot if he signs up (y)

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Just FYI, I am hoping to offer the free spot out to someone by the end of today. Like I said, it's kind of an open offer to anyone interested at the moment, so if anyone thinks they're quick enough and wants to "apply" for the spot, please send a message my way ASAP.

ExTa

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 14, 2014
I don't know if you read my message but i'm OK for the spot
mate ;)

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Driver Update:

- @ExTa [iExTa] has returned to the F1 League (now using a pad) and will fill the vacated spot in the Williams!